NAME Prof. Dr. Ali Zein Al-Abdeen Salem Heikal
PROFESSION Transportation Planning & Traffic Engineering
NATIONALITY Egyptian, 1954
EDUCATION B.Sc., Civil Engineering, Ain Shams Univ., Cairo, Egypt, 1975.
M.Sc., Civil Engineering, Ain Shams Univ., Cairo, Egypt, 1978.
Ph.D., Transport and Traffic Engineering, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA, 1983.
Coordinates Tel: 2639-8028 Mobile: 010-143-8008, email@example.com
AREAS OF EXPERIENCE
Transport Modelling, Traffic Management Schemes, Traffic Impact Studies, Highway & Road Design, Road Safety, Appraisal Studies, Public Transport Management & Operations, Toll and Environmental Studies.
Several years experience in transport planning and traffic engineering on major transportation projects including national studies and master plans in the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Lebanon, Yemen, Morocco, Turkey, and Egypt, 1983 to date. Holder of Master's degree in Highway Engineering and Doctorate in Transport and Traffic Engineering.
Responsibilities have included supervision of data collection and analysis, feasibility studies, traffic modelling and forecasting, and traffic impact studies. He has also undertaken the determination of road capacity requirements and interchange configurations, design of intersections, traffic management schemes and detailed highway engineering design.
Substantial experience in Transport, Traffic and Statistical computer packages including MINITRAMP, QVIEW, SATURN, TRANSYT 7F, HCS2000, PASSER, TRAFFIX & EMME2.
Member of the Egyptian Code of Practice Higher Committee for Highway and Traffic Engineering. Member of the Transportation Committee of Egypt National Academy of Science. Board Member of the Holding Company for Maritime and Land Transport.
2009 - Now Chairman, Public Works Department, Faculty of Emgineering, Ain Shams Univ.
2006 - 2008 Vice Dean, Environmental & Community Affairs, Faculty of Engineering, Ain Shams University, Egypt.
2006 to 2008 Director, Traffic & Transport Planning Unit – Faculty of Engineering, Ain Shams University.
Project manager, Cairo Festival City, AAW for Al-Futaim Real Estate Company.
Project Manager, A number of traffic impact studies for private companies and authorities.
1994 - Now Professor, Transportation Planning & Traffic Engineering, Ain Shams University, Egypt.
2006 – 2008 Transport Expert, “Technical Assistance for Identification & Formulation of a Budgetary Support Programme for the Transport Sector in Egypt”. INTECSA-INARSA, S.A. EU Grant Project – Europeaid/119860/C/SV/multi
2004-2005 Transport Expert, Egypt Public Expenditure Review – Transport Sector, World Bank, Cairo Office.
2004-Now Freelancer, Dar Al-Handasah Consultants (Shair & Partners).
Transport Group Leader, Rawabi Rumah New City Traffic Impact Study, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Transport Group Leader, Al-Lusaily New City Traffic Impact Study, Dubai, UAE.
Transport Group Leader, Saphira Development Traffic Impact Study, Rabat, Morocco.
Transport Group Leader, King Abdullah Economic City Traffic Studies, Saudi Arabia. Traffic studies for three action areas: Bay La Sun, Red Sea Cove, and Industrial Area.
Transport Group Leader, Dubai Towers - Istanbul, Turkey. Traffic Impact Study.
Transport Expert, Design Review of Madina Highway, Ghana.
Transport Expert, Feasibility Study of LRT system in Riyah, Saudi Arabia.
Transport Group Leader, Pearl of Gulf Traffic Impact Study, Qatar.
2000 to 2005 Director, Egypt National Institute of Transport – Ministry of Transport.
National Coordinator, Ministry of Transport, Euro-Med Transport Projects (Main Contract & Infrastructure Contract).
Project Manager, Truck Operating Costs, Transport Planning Authority, Ministry of Transport, Egypt.
Project Manager, Feasibility Study of the Extension of Second Underground Metro Line from Shoubra El-Khima to Qalioub, National Authority for Tunnels, Ministry of Transport.
Project Manager, Regulation of Road Freight Transport in Egypt, Transport Planning Authority, Ministry of Transport.
Project Manager, Future Transport Demand in Sinai, Transport Planning Authority, Ministry of Transport, Egypt.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Studies for a number of New Power Stations, Holding Company for Electricity, Ministry of Electricity.
Project Manager, Passenger Behavior and Patterns in Cairo Regional Metro Network, National Authority for Tunnels, Ministry of Transport.
Project Manager, Install, Test and Train on Traffic Engineering and Transportation Planning Software Models, Cairo Governorate. A World Bank Project.
1995 to Date Director of “Heikal Consultants”, as has been contracted to undertake the following positions in projects:
Project Manager, National Tourism Development Plan – ECG for the Ministry of Tourism, Egypt.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Study of Smart Maadi Academy – ECG for the Ministry of Communications, Egypt.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Study of City Stars – Phase 2, Golden Pyramids Plaza, Egypt.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Study of Nile Plaza Hotel, Nova Park Company, Egypt.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Study of Nozha Commercial Center (Carrefour Supermarket), MAF Misr, Property Development Company.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Study of the Extension of Heliopolis Sheraton Hotel, Gulf Egypt Hotel and Tourism Company.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Study of the Intelligent Village, ECG for the Ministry of Telecommunications, Egypt.
Freelaner, AAW Consultants, UAE. Traffic Study and Road Maitenance Strategy for Abu Dhabi Island Residential Sectors.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Study of the new Azhar Tunnels at Cairo Central Business District, National Authority for Tunnels.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Study of the new Golden Pyramids Plaza Building Complex (City Stars), Nasr City, Egypt.
Project Manager, Accident Analysis at Selected Intersections and Railway Crossings in Greater Cairo Area, Egypt National Academy of Science.
Transport Planner, AAW Consultants, Egypt. Transport Master Plan for El Dorado Industrial Park, Suez Idustrial Free Zone, El Dorado Company.
Freelancer, Ankara Urban Traffic and Transportation Improvement Study, Parsons Brinkerhoff International, Turkey. A World Bank project.
Freelancer, Attiko Metro Transfer Stations, Parsons Brinkerhoff International, Greece. A Traffic Impact Study. Parsons Brinkerhoff International, Turkey.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Study of the new Sahl Hasheesh Resort development south of Hurghada covering 32 million m2, Egypt.
Transport Planner, AAW Consultants, Egypt. Transportation Master Plan for the Extension of 10th of Ramadan City and the Industrial District, Ministry of Housing.
Freelancer, Istanbul Olympic Stadium, Turkey. Dar Al-Handasah Consultants. Simulation of stadium evacuation time during emergency conditions.
Project Manager, Traffic Impact Study of the Nile Plaza Hotel/Residential/ Commercial complex building in the central area, Cairo, Egypt.
Technical Advisor, Structural and Master Plans for a number of new communities, General Organisation of Physical Planning, Ministry of Housing and Urban Development.
Freelancer, Me’amar Consultants, Abha Region Structural Plan, Saudi Arabia. Evaluation of existing transport system and future plans.
Technical Advisor, Vehicle Emissions Testing & Tune-up Program (VETT), Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency/Technical Co-operation Office for the Environment, sponsored by USAID.
Project Manager, Development of Parking Rates for Selected Land Uses in Greater Cairo Area (Hospitals, Hotels, and Sporting Clubs), National Academy of Science and Technology, Egypt.
Project Manager, Conceptual design of a 3-Km mountainous road to a tourist village in Sohag Governorate.
Freelancer, Study of improving traffic operations at Hilton Annex Multi-storey Car Park, Hilton International, Egypt.
Freelancer, Feasibility study for the new 140-Km Wadi Al Natroun-Alamain Highway, Highway Engineering Consulting Unit, Ministry of Housing & New Settlements.
Transport Planner, Sabbour Consultants, Egypt. Transport Master Plan for the Extension of Industrial District in Sadat City, Ministry of Housing.
1991 - 1995 Senior Transport Planner: Dar Al-Handasah Consultants, Cairo, Egypt. Worked on the following projects:
- Casablanca/Al Jadida Autoroute, Morocco. Traffic modelling and forecasts of the 122-Km Autoroute and its associated interchanges, study of the toll level and expected revenues for the feasibility study.
- Hamiz/Lakhdaria Autoroute, Algeria. Traffic modelling and forecasts for the 37-km toll motorway.
- Improvement of Aqaba Back Road, Jordan. Traffic surveys, analysis of port activities, traffic forecasts for the proposed road variants.
- Traffic impact study of Dubai Higher Colleges of Education, Dubai, UAE.
- Improvements of Al Ittihad Road and Associated Interchanges, Dubai.
- Beirut North Entrance Roads, Lebanon. Updating Beirut Traffic Model.
- Improvements of Al Quta'eyat Road and Associated Interchanges, Dubai.
- Ras Al Naqab - Aqaba Back Road Junction Highway- Jordan. Review of traffic data and forecasts by another Consultant. A World Bank Study.
- North Coastal Highway, Lebanon. Preparation of the traffic study for Dbayeh-Nahr Al Kalb Section and providing traffic forecasts.
- Rabat/Fes Autoroute, Morocco. Work included updating traffic forecasts for the 200-Km highway and 5 Interchanges with toll system (closed type).
- Traffic Impact Study of Al Shuwaikh Industrial Area, Kuwait.
- Extension of Dubai World Trade Centre, Dubai, UAE. Traffic impact study.
- Roads in Al Qusais, Dubai. A traffic impact study for the 8.5 km2 housing development.
- Beirut Central District. Responsible for the preparation of the Transportation Master Plan for the reconstruction of Beirut Central District.
- Souk As-Saghir Underpass in Makkah, Saudi Arabia. Engaged in estimating vehicular traffic flows, as well as bus-station congestion analysis using the Station Congestion Model.
- Dubai Urban Area Transport Plan. Responsible for the development of strategic and peak hour models for Dubai Urban Area using SATURN 8.3.
- Madinah Regional Comprehensive Planning Study.
1988 to 1994 Associate Professor: Faculty of Engineering, Ain Shams Univ., Cairo, Egypt.
1989 Transport Planner, Freelancer, Egypt. Feasibility Study of the Northern Coastal Highway. Responsible for traffic studies for the proposed 250-Km highway from Port Said City to Alexandria.
1988 – 1989 Road Design Engineer: Arab Consulting Engineers (Moharram/ Bakhoum), Egypt. Worked on the following Projects:
- Egyptian Tank Plant. Shop drawings for the internal road network (10 km) and the plant test track (2 km).
- Study of planning, construction and implementation of a Telepherique in Saint Catherine City, Sinai. Technical co-ordination.
Transport Planner: ECOGIM Consultants, Egypt.
- Information Centre for the Transport Sector. Responsible for identifying information needs in the transport sector at all levels of operation: Ministry, Authorities and Companies.
1987 - 1989 Transport Expert, Freelancer, Egypt.
- Master Plan for Suez, Ismailia, Port Said Cities and Sinai. Transportation studies for existing and proposed extensions of a number of cities.
1983 - 1988 Assistant Professor: Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt.
1986 - 1987 Transport Planner: ECOGIM Consultants, Egypt.
- Egypt Grains Transport Study. The study was directed at increasing the share of grains transported by waterways and railways.
1986 Transport and Road Design Engineer: Arab Consulting Engineers (Moharram/Bakhoum), Egypt. Extension of Municipal Services to Kattamia Settlement in Cairo (1000 feddans). Transportation study, light rail and bus fleet schedules, and geometric design of the road network. A World Bank project.
1986 Transport and Traffic Planner: German Agency for Technical Co-operation (GTZ), Cairo branch. Transportation Master Plan of Tanta City. Work included the functional classification of the road network and improvements to the existing roads.
1985 - 1987 Road Design Consultant, Geometric Design of the Urban Road Network of New Menia City for the Arab Office for Engineering Designs and Consultations.
1985 Transport Planner, Study of Traffic and Transportation Movements in 15th of May City and the New Settlements in Helwan District.
1985 Transport Planner and Traffic Engineer: ECOGIM Consultants/ Halcrow Fox and Associates, Egypt. Worked on the following projects:
- Study of Intercity Taxi Services. Design, execution and analysis of roadside interviews with taxi occupants at 50 sites throughout upper and lower Egypt.
- Improvements to Cairo Corridors. Traffic management measures for Salah Salem, Corniche El Nile and Shoubra roads. A World Bank project.
1983 - 1984 Traffic Engineer: Arab Consulting Engineers (Moharram / Bakhoum), De Lieu, Cather and Associates (USA), Egypt.
- Multi-Storey Parking Garages in Cairo Central Business District. Review and evaluation of two car parks: Opera and Ataba. A World Bank project.
1983 Road Design Engineer: ROADPLAN Consultants, Egypt. Sixth of October City Road Network. Work included the design of internal road network links and intersections, and the design of El-Wahat Highway.